I don’t exactly know how I came across it.
I think it started with a search for what a Seax was.
That search led me to something on languages as they developed in Europe, during which I came across an actual group of Cimmerians (which made me think of Robert E. Howard and Conan) and ultimately found my way to Denmark of all places.
So, after this jaunty little stroll along the byways of the internet, there came a point when I was looking at the peninsula of Jutland and various related pages. Then, I came upon a map with the name of a town printed very prominently across the center and lo and behold I just busted out laughing!
Middelfart was founded around 1200 A.D. The first written account of Middelfart is the name Mæthælfart in Kong Valdemars Jordebog (13th century). Later this name was shortened to Melfar. This short form is still popular in names of shops, institutions and events, e.g. Melfar-Posten, a local weekly.
No comments:
Post a Comment